Irish Universities Football Union

Spot on for Maynooth

23 January 2019

Maynooth University avoided a surprise exit from the Rustlers Collingwood Cup as they came from behind and overcame Trinity College Dublin 3-1 on penalties in the First Round clash in Maynooth.


Goalkeeper Adam Murphy was the hero of the shootout as he saved three of Trinity's spot kicks to advance his side to a Quarter Final meeting with the University of Limerick in two weeks' time.

Trinity dominated for large parts of the game with the midfield duo of Jason Boateng and Robbie Gaul dictating the tempo of the game and cutting off the supply to the talented Maynooth forward line.

The Dublin side took the lead midway through the first half when Chris Straessle was put through on goal and he poked the ball past the onrushing Murphy.

Trinity will be ruing their luck in the early stages of the second half as they pressed for a second and should have doubled the advantage just four minutes in when captain Ronan Hanaphy headed Straessle's cross against the post causing the ball to spin across the goal line and looked destined to be tapped in by James Woods who was denied by a terrific block from Murphy to clear the danger.

They got their goal on 66 minutes when Hanaphy was fouled by Luke McNally midway inside the Maynooth half. From the resulting free kick, Straessle's delivery was met by his captain who flicked the ball into the home side's net.

Maynooth looked deflated and a comeback seemed unlikely for the 2014 winners until nine minutes to go when goalkeeper Devin Connolly could only push a cross into the path of first year student Daniel Grant who headed home to restore hope for his side.

This hope was almost dashed moments after the restart when substitute Seamus Curley was given his marching orders for a rash challenge.

Maynooth went in search of the equaliser with time running out on them. However, two minutes into additional time, a Jason Grouse cross was met by substitute Jackson Ryan who volleyed home into the corner of the net to bring the sides level.

Extra time ensued and while both sides had opportunities, a penalty shootout would be the deciding factor with Hanaphy, Gaul and Straessle all seeing their attempts denied by Murphy to set up captain Darragh Gannon to win the shootout for the Kildare side.

Maynooth University
Murphy, Cleary, Kane, Gannon, McNally (Massey 99'), A Kelly, McGivern (Ryan 59), Grouse, Grant, Duffy, Hughes (Curley 59).
Subs Unused: O'Neill, Travers, Byrne, C Kelly

Trinity College
Devin Connolly, Foley, O'Donovan, Doyle, Boateng, Straessle, Gaul, Hanaphy, Woods, Nairn (Healy 77')
Subs Unused: Barr, Fitzsimons, McCrory, Balungun, Clarke, Grace.

Referee: David Gallagher

« Go Back

Sponsored By