collingwood cup day one report

20 February 2017

The opening round of fixtures in the four day Irish Universities Collingwood Cup tournament hosted for the first time by Maynooth University produced little in the way of surprise results.

DCU, NUI Galway and Trinity College Dublin all progressed into Tuesday's quarter finals with relative ease.

DCU were much too strong for Royal College of Surgeons and had little difficulty going through to the last eight with a 8-0 victory.

Two goals from Jamie Lennon after Karl Melling had opened the DCU account put them in a very comfortable position by half time.

It got no better for the Surgeons after the break and Declan Roche's side powered on to hit five more goals without reply.

Full back Craig Farrelly scored twice with the others coming from Alan o'Sullivan, Aaron Ralph and Ross Taheny.

DCU will face NUI Galway in a quarter final tie on Tuesday morning after the Corribsiders ran out 3-1 winners over Mary Immaculate College Limerick.

Galway who last won the Collingwood Cup in 1999 had to work hard for the win after getting off to an impressive opening start.

Eoin Walsh prodded home the opener on two minutes following a long throw in. The second came minutes later with a tap in from close range by Josh Marvesley after the Mary Immaculate 'keeper Davin Crowe could only parry a well placed free kick from Conor Barry.

Barry then converted a penalty on the stroke of half time to leave Galway in a comfortable position.

The Limerick side showed determination after the break and Rory Finnegan pulled a goal back from the penalty spot the hour mark.

They might have snatched another one but the Galway 'keeper Eoin Curry saved well from both Damien Casey and Brendan Larkin and Jumbo Brennan's side progressed.

Trinity College managed to get past Ulster University with the help of two late second half goals from Ronan Hanaphy after the northern side had struck back with an equaliser from Oisin Roper on 70 minutes to cancel out Eoghan Vaughan's first half goal for Trinity.

The Dubliners will now face strong favourites UCC in Tuesday's quarter final.

« Go Back