qf round-up - qub, ucc, ucd, dcu into semis

05 February 2018

Holders UCC powered their way into the last four of the Irish Universities Collingwood Cup with a stunning 7-0 demolition of Mary Immaculate College Limerick.

The three day tournament sponsored by Rustlers the leading Irish fast food brand got under way in Belfast yesterday with the Cork side putting down a marker that they won't be relinquishing their hold on the trophy very easily.

UCC's magnificent seven came with hat tricks from Matthew McKevitt and half time substitute Cormac Cotter plus Amateur International Shane Daly-Butz also getting on the score sheet to complete the total.

Mary Immaculate did well to keep out the some early UCC pressure and were unlucky themselves not to go a goal in front when Darren Casey had a shot taken off the line by defender Sean O'Mahony.

But that was as good as it got for the Limerick side as UCC went on to give an impressive performance.

UCD the runners up last year and one of the favourites to regain a trophy they have claimed on 45 other occasions showed real determination to get past Maynooth University comfortably coming out on top 3-0.

Georgie Kelly gave them a half time lead with a brilliant finish after chesting down a Jason McClelland cross to beat Maynooth 'keeper Michael Kelly from close in.

Kelly added a second early in the second half side footing home another fine McClelland delivery.

Maynooth had a Jason Grouse effort saved by Gavin Sheridan in the UCD goal and Darragh Markey then put another effort over the cross bar before Daire O'Connor sealed the win on the hour with a cool finish from Kelly's square pass.

Two goals each from Jack O'Connor and Alan O'Sullivan with Rory Feely adding a fifth saw DCU through to the last four with an impressive 5-1 win over Ulster University.

Adam Brown headed a second half consolation for the northern side who were completely outclassed by a much stronger DCU outfit.

Hosts Queens University survived a late rally from Trinity College Dublin to go through to the semi finals after looking comfortable leading 3-0 with ten minutes remaining.

Two first half goals Eamon Fyfe had Queens well in command by the break and when the striker completed his had trick it looked all over for Trinity.

But back they came and James Woods cracked home two quick goals to give them hope only for Daire Rooney to further stretch the home side's advantage.

Muhanned Bukhatwa did manage a third in the closing minutes for Trinity following up after goalkeeper Conor Lally had kept out his penalty kick.

The semi final line up to-day (Tuesday) will see UCC take on Queens while DCU face UCD with both games at 2.30.

« Go Back