sligo return to mountain top

12 March 2018

IT Sligo came from behind to edge out Limerick IT 2-1 and capture the Rustlers Division One crown and clinch promotion to the Premier League next season.

It was a deserved victory for Colm Jinks side who picked up silverware for the second time in less than a week following a 3-1 defeat of GMIT Galway in the Rustlers CFAI Plate last Tuesday.

Limerick were ahead after just four minutes courtesy of a bizarre goal. Sligo 'keeper Jason Quinn saw his clearance hit the back of defender Conor Blaney and fall nicely for Evan O'Connor to go on fire home.

Even at a goal down Sligo looked the stronger of the two sides and it was no surprise when Gary Higgins equalised 15 minutes later when he beat goalkeeper Killian Moran from just inside the box after Brian Kavanagh's initial attempt came off Limerick defender.

Higgins then went on to miss out on several further clear cut chances to put Sligo comfortably ahead until they finally got their nose in front on 73 minutes.

Jack Hever cut inside full back Ryan Mawdsley and headed into the Limerick box but in attempting to recover the Limerick man took down Hever and Niall Brennan converted the spot kick.

Brennan had another chance to stretch the lead when Hever was taken down again but this time the Limerick 'keeper guessed correctly to push away the second penalty.

While at the other end Ben Banaghan was denied a late equaliser by Quinn's superb save after he picked up O'Connor's cross field pass and hammered the ball goalwards.

LIMERICK IT: Killian Moran; Jonathan Quinlan (Khalid Al Alawi 85), Kevin Fitzgerald, Eoin Heavin, Ryan Mawdsley (Chris Carey 80); Ben Banaghan, Eoghan Smith (Sam Ogundare 76); Evan O'Connor, Alan Sheehan, Keegan Park (Rafai Mamala 57); Eric Banville.
Subs not used: Craig Kelly, Oisin Kavanagh, Gavin Carroll.

IT SLIGO: Jason Quinn; Ryan Norris, Ben Treanor, Ryan O'Reilly, Conor Blaney; Brian Kavanagh (Conor Brennan 78), Roland Anderson; Mikey Guilfoyle, Niall Brennan, Darren Somers (Jack Hever 55); Gary Higgins.

Referee: John McCarthy. Assistants: Derek Rooney, Jimmy Keating.

« Go Back