collingwood cup final day round up

04 March 2010

UCD claimed the 2010 Collinwood Cup on penalties in a repeat of last years final versus NUI Galway in Cork. In the Spillane Cup DCU beat NUI Maynooth 5-0. University of Limerick defeated Queens 3-1 in the Farquahar Cup Final.

McGinley heroics foil NUIG

UCD 0, NUI Galway 0. UCD won 4-2 on penalties.

Goalkeeper Mark McGinley was the hero with two fine penalty shoot-out saves at the Brandywell to help UCD retain the title.

The saves from the young Donegal netminder gave sub Gavin Falconer the chance to beat Liam Grant in the Galway goal and claim the Collingwood Cup for the Belfield side for the second successive year.

Both teams were feeling the effects of four days of football and few chances were created in a tense final.

David McMillen went close for UCD with a header from a Paul Corry free-kick late in the second half. Substitute Mikey Gilmore came closest for Galway.

UCD -- M McGinley, J Timmons, D O'Connor, M Kelly (S Houston 89), M Leahy, M Langtry, S Belhout (R Creevy 50), P Corry, D McMillen, D Fallon (C Melvin 50, G Falconer, 100), P McMahon.

NUIG -- L Grant, S Conneely, C Larkin, M Conneely, S Murphy, C Burke (P Flaherty 105), E Dunne (B Gaffney 46), A Lee (M Gilmore 80), C Foley, G Cheevers, (S Browne 55), P Reilly.

REF -- P McFadden (Derry)

Spillane Cup Final Dublin City University 5-0 NUI Maynooth

At St Columbs, 4th March 2010

DCU overwhelmed Maynooth in the Spillane Cup Final with an excellent display of attacking football. The extra game for Maynooth took its toll on their players as DCU, benefited from a rest day on Wednesday, controlled the game from start to finish. The games first chance was a long range effort from DCU captain Anthony Costigan which was superbly tipped over by Maynooth keeper Alex Reilly after 20mins. John Mulroy had DCU’s next chance after 25mins after a free kick, he held off two defenders in the box but shot straight at Reilly. Good play from Mulroy and Ian Byrne ended with a free header for Colin Richardson but he failed to hit the target. DCU took the lead after 40mins, a cross from Oisin Doyle was controlled under pressure from Mulroy in the box, and he beat two players before expertly placing the ball into the corner of the net. A minute later it was 2-0. Byrne’s strike from 30yards flew past Reilly into the corner of the net. Half time substitute David Gaul scored with his first touch when he finished a cross from Sullivan. John Cosgrave made it 4-0 after 75mins with a cheeky finish.  Maynooth best chance of the second half was a good strike from Craig Mooney which was well saved by Joe Flanagan. Costigan made it 5-0 when he tapped home after good work by Lodola.

DCU: Joe Flanagan, Oisin Doyle, Niall Cullen, Gavin McArdle, Patrick Collins, Anthony Costigan, Jamie Sullivan, Jack Flynn, Colin Richardson, John Mulroy, Ian Byrne. Subs: David Gaul for Flynn (h/t). David Lodola for Richardson (57), Thomas Hickey for Cullen (62), John Cosgrave for Mulroy (68), Greg Kehoe, James Geraghty, Manager Fran Butler.

Maynooth: Alex Reilly, Keith Walsh, Eoin Powderly, Ciaran Hoey, Ross Cullinane, Craig Mooney, Paul O’Brien, Peter Gannon, Jamie Carolan, Rob Dempsey, Mark Forker. Subs Paddy Broughan for Reilly (48) Adam Knop for Hoey (50), Pierce O’Connor for Walsh (58) Trevor Sweeney, Dave Thompson. Manager James Coll

Referee: Noel Moore, Assistants: John Paul Fahy, Billy McConnell.

Farquhar Cup Final University of Limerick 3-1 Queens University Belfast

At The Showgrounds 4th March 2010

Meanwhile the University of Limerick retained the Bishop Farquhar Cup with the help of two late goals in an exciting decider against Queens University.Dave McGrath had the holders in front on the half hour but Jay Gardiner got on the end of a Conor Mulholland cross to strike home the equaliser early after the break.

Limerick proved the stronger side in the last quarter and McGrath and David Njuki grabbed the vital goals to take the trophy.


« Go Back