it carlow retain umbro cufl premier division title

28 February 2012

A strong second half show from holders IT Carlow that yielded four goals gave them a comfortable 5-1 win over Athlone IT in the Colleges and Universities Premier League Final at the magnificent Frank Cooke Park.

Athlone IT sensationally took the lead after just two minutes when Neil Harney’s thunderbolt free kick flew past Craig Sexton to send the large Athlone contingent into raptures. However holders Carlow fought back and Tom Elmes missed a glorious chance for after an excellent Danny Ledwith cross. The teams were level on 32 minutes when Elmes’ cutback to Ray Foy beat goalkeeper Bernard Power. Carlow were well on top at this stage with the only danger from Athlone coming from set pieces. Barry O’Mahony hit the crossbar from another Ledwith cross. In a breakaway just before half time Athlone’s Danny Turano went close with a fierce drive that struck Sexton’s crossbar.

The second half was a different story as Carlow took complete control. O’Mahony struck three mins into the half finishing off a great move between James Scallan and Adam Hanlon to put the holders into a lead they never looked like losing.

Full back Noel Haverty added a third when he got on the end of O’Mahony’s corner on 57 mins. Substitute Gary Shaw made it four on 73 mins after Hanlon set him up. Man of the match O’Mahony put the icing on the cake with Carlow’s fifth and his second of the night in the closing minutes.

 the holders took control in the second half and two goals from man of the match Barry O’Mahony and one a piece from Noel Haverty and Gary Shaw to claim another title.

IT Carlow: Craig Sexton, Noel Haverty, Daniel Ledwith, Jamie Carr (captain), James Scallan, Craig Wall, Adam Hanlon, Ray Foy, Tom Elmes, Barry O Mahony, Ben Ryan. Subs: Karl Keogh (for Adam Hanlon 88), Chris Kerr (for Ryan 82), Arminas Balevicius (for Craig Wall 84), Gary Shaw (for Elmes 60), Aaron Humphries (for Foy 75). Not Used: Ross Kenny, Michael Schlingermann.

Athlone IT: Bernard Power, James Furlong, Adrian Torres, Neil Harney (captain), Kevin Dunne, Aidan Reilly, Flavio Squillante, Daniel Cunningham, Enda Morris, Danny Turano, David Kelly. Subs: Andrea Balestra (for Reilly 65), James Morrisey (for Torres 65), Richard Alade (for Furlong 80), Francisco Gomez (for Kelly 52). Not Used: Khalafi Mehdi, Gary Martin, Dean Clarke.

Referee: Tony McGuinness. Assistants: Matt Burke and Dave Fisher. 4th Official: Ritchie Glynn.

« Go Back